Thursday, January 3, 2019

You say it’s your birthday

Once upon a time 40 years ago a beautiful young girl gave birth to her own beautiful baby girl. That baby girl wouldn’t be raised by the young girl, but she would be raised with love and laughter nonetheless. Flash forward to 2 years ago when I got to meet that beautiful baby girl for the first time. She had a big wide smile like mine - the kind that squinches up your eyes and takes up your whole face. She had an easy laugh and a calm yet electric way about her. She had great tattoos and was taller than I expected. I looked at her and knew she was family. She’s my cousin and we all, the whole family, including that  beautiful young girl who was by then a Grandmother, had waited a long time to meet her. It was a moment both ordinary and extraordinary at the same time. Sure we’d talked on the phone, facebooked and emailed before the big day but nothing beats the flesh and bone. The hug that lasts for several minutes and closes the gap on all the years from her birth to that magic day. Today is that beautiful baby girls birthday  and also the birthday of one of her brothers. How amazing is that? Amazing happens all the time in my family and for that I am grateful. For the family who gave my cousin all those years of love and laughter I am grateful. For all the people who helped my Aunt, the beautiful young girl reunite with her one and only baby girl I am grateful. For my God who watched over it all and all the forces of the universe who helped it happen, I am grateful. Happy birthday Cousin. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment