Saturday, May 9, 2015

That one special Sunday

I had huge expectations about Mother's Day for years. My vision for my first one involved flowers, a laser cut wooden "mothers are....." picture frame from Mervyns and a declaration of appreciation from my then husband. What I got was a card in Spanish and a cracked poly-resin picture frame from the Dollar store. From then on it was a crapshoot. Some years he got me nothing since I wasn't his mother. Others he packed the kids up (including one in a stroller) and trekked down to Tiffanys to get me a necklace. 
Why was it such a big deal to me I wonder? Looking back I see I wanted HIM to appreciate the job I was doing. Being a good mom was and is a big deal to me. Well gues what? I am a good mom. Not perfect, but good. Whether he ever said it or not. My own mom - who's damn near perfect, tells me all the time. My girlfriends support and appreciate me. All the wonderful moms in my family tell me. Most importantly my children show me. They appreciate me. They love me. They trust me. They come to me. That's what matters. So many women and a few men have shown me what it means to be a good parent. It doesn't have anything to do with cards or flowers although those are nice. Whatever or whoever you celebrate tomorrow remember...you ARE good enough, right where you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment