Tuesday, June 7, 2011

the soundtrack

What is your soundtrack? The music you hear in your head that brings you back to a time, or pushes you forward when you have no motivation? Who do you listen to that you would die if anyone caught you ? For me the spectrum is wide and varied and since I'm a little more mature than I used to be I can admit a love for Posion as well as Ludacris. Who cares. I am still a music snob though and I'd rather poke out my eye than listen to NKOTSB or whatever they are calling themselves these days. My kids listen to a lot of top 40 and I hope that won't rot their brains. I made great efforts to educate them musically and they could identify the Clash and Jackson Brown by the time they could talk. I guess my parents probably disliked most of what I listened to as well so it's a rite of passage to hate your parents music - at least some of it. I do rest in the knowledge that they will come to their senses some day and we can enjoy a nice punk show together like we did when they were babies and had no choice. Yes, I was the mom who was pregnant at the show..or toting a stroller at the all day festival. I think other people in my group - ten years up or down - probably do the same with their kids - let me know. Who is on your iPod - who do you make your kids listen to in the car? Who do you refuse to listen to? Censored lyrics or not? Let's hear it.....

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's a tough one. Only because there are so many.
    Well, my music library is up to about 50 gbs and shows I have aprox 12,500 files. Then there's my tape stash. I'm sure that's not really that impressive, but it seems like a lot.
    And I don't get to buy music really anymore. boohoo
    If I open my largest and primary alphabetized cd book, it starts with AIC and ends with my techno collection! lol In between I see meditation cds Janis Joplin, the Garden State Soundtrack (I like soundtracks), Barry Manilow (yes, I will readily admit my love for him), a little old school Keith Sweat & BBD, some Rage, Sade, Phantom of the Opera and Mama Mia, Simon & Garfunky, Sarah McL, Massive Attack, INXS, EUROPE!!, Cranberries, Common, Tracey Bonham, Beatles, U2, Sting, Police, Weezer, WHAM and OF COURSE, CAKE and SOUNDGARDEN! That doesn't include all my holiday or Jesus music or the ones Cole or the kids like best, which have their own cases.
    These are also the things I torture my children with. I refuse to listen to most (99%) rap and KIIS. I'll listen to country (love you JoDee!) if it's on by someone else's doing until the twang starts to make me anxious.
    Censored lyrics around the kids, not when I'm alone. But then most of what I listen to doesn't even have/need the option. I'm such a goody 2-shoes.

    ReplyDelete